Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why Chickens?

The big question is why chickens and why now? A few weeks ago, I had no idea I wanted chickens. I thought they would be smelly and noisy, and I would need some remote homestead to raise a decent flock. I also thought they would be hard to care for, with all the droppings and buying the straw and supplies needed. I even read a recent article in the paper that boiled it down to this: "Its cheaper to buy your eggs at the store". Then we went to the Haines Fair on a family trip and stayed at our friend's place, Carlos and Sierra, who had chickens for a spell before a bear came over for lunch.

First of all the Haines Fair had a petting zoo with a few very tame chickens. And my son Nicholas was into it, to say the least. He brushed off the Alpacas and Ponies and was pretty much in the pen, with chickens, whenever he was allowed. He wasn't like most of the kids, poking them in the face and bugging them. So eventually the chickens would climb right up on him one or two at a time. Boy, Nicholas really likes chickens, and they like him....hmmm reason number one to get chickens? They will make great pets for my son.

Still, I had no idea I would be farming chickens at this point. Then we went back to my friend's home and Sierra showed me her coop on the 3rd day I was there. I didn't even notice the coop was there for 2 days...no smell. Sierra told me about the Plymouth Rock Chickens, how they were quiet, didn't fly much, laid about an egg a day even in winter, and where to get them. She also said there is nothing better tasting than an organic free range egg, and cleaning the coop isn't that difficult if you use pine shavings and straw. So much for my theory on them being smelly and noisy. In short, yes its cheaper to buy mass produced eggs at the store, but if you have laying hens, you will have fresher better tasting eggs at about the same cost as buying organic free range eggs. So reason number two to get chickens....better eggs.

Now I just had one mental obstacle left...Will I have the space to raise these chickens?, and am I allowed to? A quick call to the City Office and spoke to a lady in "Regulations"...and she stated my home was in a zone where 6 hens could be kept, and no roosters. Simple enough. Then I did a bit of research on what kind of space they need to live comfortably. Seems chickens only need like 4 square feet to live in. I have a giant back yard...plenty of space. I theoretically could fence off my side yard and have 40 chickens?!? Cool! So reason number three to have chickens....We have the space and we are allowed to.

 
Im only a few days into it and all I can say its not that hard. From what I have read in my region the big problem is predation. Bears, Minks, Owls, Ravens and Eagles are the culprits in my neck of the woods. I hear mice, rats and even smaller birds can cause problems too, but so far its been smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment