Monday, August 16, 2010

Building Our Coop

We live in Juneau, Alaska and the weather is wet and cold for most of the year. I am going to try and document our chicken coop disasters and successes and maybe we will make mistakes others can learn from and help some other South East Alaskan chicken farmers. I pulled the picture above from a pre-fab chicken coop operation, just to get basic design ideas. I liked that this unit was of a good size, yet still somewhat mobile, and it looked like it could handle some snow too.

Our Coop is framed in 2 x 2 common wood, Inner walls are made of particle board, roof and other surfaces are sheeted with plywood. I covered the nesting area and roof with tar paper and then covering it with metal sheathing. Have not insulated it as of yet. With a heat source installed in such a small space, it may not be necessary to insulate. I plan on putting in some thermometers to make sure my chickens are comfortable, and make sure its not too hot or cold in the roosting area. But I made sure its windproof, and vented it well. I could also insulate it next spring if I have trouble keeping it warm this winter.

Above is my son Nicholas, our Chicken Wrangler here at our farm. We want to have a name for our farm, but haven't decided on one yet. This is our nesting box and roosting area for our chickens. As you see there is a light wired in, and we have moved it around quite a bit trying to find the best spot for it. Dimensions of this area is 5ft high x 4ft deep x 3ft wide, and has a potential for 6 nests...but that's up to the chickens. Im no expert on chickens, but have researched that chickens don't need alot of space...3-4 cubic feet per chicken is all they need in general, and you only need to provide each chicken with 1 square foot of roosting space. My entire coop is 256 cubic feet, with a nesting/roosting box that is 60 cubic feet, which more space means happier healthier birds.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for some great info. I am going to start raising hens for eggs and am trying to look at different plans, I like the pictures you posted. Good luck with your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete